Friday, July 15, 2022

Enjoying Summertime with Furry Friends


It’s summertime, fun and travel time.  Ever wonder what your pets think about those who care for them while you are gone?  Or when they are in to get pretty or handsome at the groomers?  Recently I spoke with Fannie, a 12-year-old poodle mix.

Frances:  Your mom is concerned about leaving you with your sitters when she is gone.  Do you mind them watching you?
 Why can’t I go with mom when she leaves?  Why do I have to stay here?

Frances: Sometimes mom takes trips that dogs can’t easily go on.  She will take you when she can, but only if she can.  Do you have a preference of your sitters Dick and Jane? [not their real names]
I like when Dick comes because he sits with me for a while.  He lets me do what I want and gives me treats.  We go outside when it isn’t too hot, and he doesn’t get mad if I pee in the house.  Jane is fussier.  She doesn’t like to clean after me and my messes.  She makes me go outside when it’s hot and doesn’t pay attention to how hot the ground is.  Sometimes I feel like my pads are burning but she doesn’t seem to notice as she is looking at the thing in her hand the whole time.

Frances:  (I think she is pre-occupied with her phone.)
I shared this with my client, and she confirmed that Dick is a bit older and does like sit around, not that mobile and gives Fannie treats.  Jane is a younger woman who is always on her phone.  One time Fannie threw up and she called my client in hysterics that she had to clean it up.  Whoopsie, guess we know Fannie’s preference.

My client also asked about the groomer as she was very stressed when she was in the car knowing she was going to the groomers.  Fannie told me she didn’t know who would be doing her grooming, some are not as careful or nice as others.  This stressed her out.  Their previous groomer was no longer available so she is now looking for a quieter situation, single groomer so Fannie will know who is taking care of her needs.

Frances:  Would you like to play with other dogs?
Not really, I’m good on my own.  I’m not really much of a “dog” dog, I like people better.  

Frances:  I understand that, Fannie – I tend to like dogs more than some people, too.


Enjoy your summertime with your pets and watch out for the hot surfaces when walking outside and please never leave them in the car unattended even for a few minutes.

For the Love of Animals,
Frances


 

No comments:

Post a Comment