Thursday, October 8, 2026

Raney Learns to Soften Up


Raney is a 4-year-old female short-haired one-eyed polydactyl cat who was found on the street at 5 weeks old. She seems to have anger issues with just about anyone she encounters, including her family.

Frances:  Hi Raney – how are you?
Raney:   I’m ok, why? Who are you? 
Frances:  I’m a friend of your mom – she asked me to talk with you. Is that ok?
Raney:  I guess so.  What about? What did I do wrong?
Frances:  Mom is concerned that you’re not happy. Are you happy?
Raney: I suppose so; I can’t complain about the food or anything, so I guess that makes me happy.
Frances:  Why do you get angry at people and hiss at people?
Raney: Why do they have to touch me?  I don’t like people I don’t know touching me.  I don’t really like people I know touching me.  I can’t see very well, and I don’t hear that great either, so it scares me when they come up from behind me.  Let me go to you, and if I feel like it, then you can pet me, but only if I choose you.
Frances: Ok, Raney, that makes sense to me.  Can you tell me how you lost your eye?
Raney:  I came that way, so I don’t know any different.
Frances: Do you know how much you are loved?
Raney: I guess so since I’m taken care of and they feed me.
Frances:  Do you know you are safe with your family? 
Raney: Yeah, I do feel that.  I guess I’m kind of a hard nut to crack, right?
Frances: I think you had to learn to put on a hard shell when you came into this world.  You didn’t have an easy start to life.  Maybe you can learn to soften that hard shell a bit, knowing you are loved and safe with your family?
Raney: I suppose you are right.  But I like what I like, and I don’t like what I don’t like. I kinda get what you’re saying too.  I don’t need to be in fight mode as much as I used to.  There’s really no fight here, and everyone is nice to me.  
Frances: You can practice each day, and each day it will get easier and easier to allow that hard shell to soften.  You’ll never be considered a wimpy cat by any stretch.  But maybe you’ll enjoy your life just a bit more each day.
Raney:  I like that idea, yeah, I don’t want to be a pushover, you know?
Frances: Yes, Raney, I understand, and I don’t see that ever happening to you. Anything you want to tell Mom before I let you go?
Raney: Thank you for talking with me, this was very cool.  Please tell Mom I love her and know that I will be nicer a little at a time.  This lady made a lot of sense, and I will try to soften my hard shell a little at a time, as she said.
Frances: Thank you, Raney – that is the first time you used the word “love,” so you have already started your journey.  I’ll be talking with your mom soon.  Bye for now.
Raney: Bye and thank you again for talking with me.
Frances:  My pleasure, Raney.

For the Love of Animals,

Frances


 

No comments:

Post a Comment