Friday, May 17, 2024

Who's the Boss?

 



Marvin is a 6-year-old Goldendoodle with a very strong sense of self-importance and awareness.

When asked if he would like a dog brother or sister to join his family, he replied,

Marvin:  Hmmm, like a playmate that lives here? 
 
Frances:  It could be a playmate. 

Marvin:  That would be ok if they knew I was the boss.  They have to listen to everything I say, and I eat first, and I play first, and all the toys are mine.

Frances:  Well, don’t you think that would be a bit unreasonable to ask?  Sharing your home and life with another dog is a privilege.  You make it sound like everything is me and mine.  When another dog joins your family, a family shares what they have.

Marvin:  Well, I don’t think I want one then.  I don’t like sharing my stuff.  Besides, then I won’t get all the attention.  

Frances:  Why do you put mom and dad’s socks on your favorite stuffed animals?

Marvin:  I like the scent of mom and dad around when they are not here.  I like to share them with my favorite stuffed friends. My stuffed friends don’t get the same kind of love I get from them.

So, he does think of others, just not in the way we might expect.

Marvin:  I want to go on more walks and adventures to see new places and people.  I like to see new people; they are friendly to me because I’m so cute and I like the attention.

Frances:  Well, you do have a healthy opinion of yourself, you’re definitely not a wallflower.

 

For the Love of Animals,
Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment